5 Steps to Stripe your Lawn
Have you ever wondered how big league ballparks get those perfect stripes and patterns in their grass? Let me tell you, it’s easier than you think. So get ready to take your lawn to the next level. With these five tips you’ll have your lawn striping skills on par with the pros.
Before you get started, you’ll need to get the right equipment. Just like every job, there’s a tool to help you get the task done. Stripes are created by the way sunlight reflects off the grass blades: a stripe mowed toward you looks darker; a stripe mowed away from you looks lighter. A roller or heavy rubber “sweeper” that follows behind the mower deck are the tools of the trade to enhance the bend of the grass blade. In fact, our Simplicity® lawn tractors feature Free Floating™ mower decks with full-width rollers. If you’re not in the market for a new mower, you can also purchase or build your own striping kits to add to your existing mower.
Now that you’ve got the equipment, you’re ready to start.
How to Stripe in 5 Steps:
- Plan out how you will stripe your lawn by mapping out your pattern on paper. Check out these videos from Simplicity to learn how to create more complex striping patterns like arches, diamonds, bullseyes and more.
- Adjust your blades and mow between 2.5 and 3.5 inches. Leaving the grass blade a little longer creates a bolder, more visible pattern.
- Mow a one-mower-width perimeter, and then follow your pattern remembering to mow in alternating directions across your lawn to create the stripe. Use the fresh cut edge to help keep your stripes straight.
- Mow around obstacles on the uncut side so the next stripe covers your turn and maintains the stripe pattern. Enhance your patterns by going over the lawn a second time – just be sure to protect the grass by disengaging the mower blade on the second pass.
- The next time you mow, change your mowing pattern to protect the health of your lawn.
Of course, you’ll want to keep your lawn and lawn equipment in top shape for the best results. Be sure to water and fertilize your lawn all season long to keep it lush and healthy. To keep your equipment in prime shape, here are some helpful lawn mower maintenance tips. A sharp blade will ensure a great cut every time!
NOTICE: Customer service questions are not monitored via the blog. If you need assistance with your Briggs & Stratton engine or power equipment, please contact our Answer Center or post your question to our User Community.