Protect Your Engine Against Stale Fuel

Our dealers and technicians see countless lawn mowers each year that are the victims of stale gas. And here’s the thing, it is entirely preventable. Stale gas causes starting problems and often leads to the need for costly repairs such as a carburetor rebuild. To avoid stale gas, you just need to remember six simple words:

Fill your can. Treat your fuel.

We’ve covered all the consequences of stale and ethanol-blended gas in the past on this blog but it’s also important to talk about prevention—and the best prevention of all is to use a fuel stabilizer. While this is very important year-round, it is critical this time of year when we are storing our equipment for winter hibernation, and it will sit un-used for an extended period of time.

It doesn’t take long for fuel to degrade, it can go bad in as little as 30 days after it is pumped. So that fuel that sits in your mower or in the gas can all winter—that’s going to be trouble come spring. But it’s not just off-season storage that’s a problem. Most of us aren’t using an entire tank’s worth of gas with each mow or aren’t using the entire red can of gas in less than a month.

The best way to treat your fuel is to add a fuel stabilizer immediately to your gas can after you pump it at the gas station. Adding the stabilizer directly to your gas can allows it to easily mix with the fuel, keeping the fuel fresh and your engine free of costly repairs. Using a fuel treatment and stabilizer like Briggs & Stratton® Advanced Formula Fuel Treatment & Stabilizer will prevent fuel degradation longer than any other products on the market for up to three years, warding off the corrosion and gummy build up caused by stale fuel.

So do yourself a favor, before you store your equipment and gas can for the winter and again when you fill them both up in the spring, remember six simple words. Fill your can. Treat your fuel.

NOTICE: Customer service questions are not monitored via the blog. If you need assistance with your Briggs & Stratton engine or power equipment, please contact our Answer Center or post your question to our User Community.